- 450 g/1 lb. whole raw prawns/shrimp
- 125 g/4 oz./ ½ cup (1 stick) butter
- 1 red onion. peeled and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves. peeled and finely chopped
- 225 g/8 oz./1 heaping cup Arborio/risotto rice
- 150 ml/ ¼ pint/ 2/3 cup dry white wine
- 1,1 liters/2 pints/4 2/3 cups vegetable or fish stock
- 375 g/13 oz./2 ½ cups frozen peas
- 4 tbsp. freshly chopped mint
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Peel the prawns/shrimp and reserve the heads and shells. Remove the black vein from the back of each prawn. then wash and dry on absorbent paper towels. Melt half the butter in a large frying pan. add the prawns· heads and shells and fry. stirring occasionally. for 3-4 minutes until golden. Strain the butter. discard the heads and shells and return the butter to the pan.
Add half of the remaining butter to the pan and fry the onion and garlic for 5 minutes until softened but not colored. Add the rice and stir the grains in the butter for 1 minute until they are coated thoroughly. Add the white wine and boil rapidly until the wine is reduced by half.
Bring the stock to a gentle simmer and add to the rice. a ladleful at a time. Stir constantly. adding the stock as it is absorbed. until the rice is creamy but still has a bite in the center.
Melt the remaining butter and stir-fry the prawns for 3-4 minutes. Stir into the rice. along with all the pan juices and the peas. Add the chopped mint and season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover the pan and leave the prawns to infuse for 5 minutes before serving.