The magic of dark chocolate cake is something that you can feel if you try this delicious chocolate cake! So rich, chocolatey, and moist! It will take you some time to make it – but it will worth the effort – however, the preparation process is very easy. Here is the recipe:
For the cake:
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 1 ¾ cups flour
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup brewed coffee, cooled
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the chocolate pudding layer:
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- A pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 1/4 cups cold milk
For the frosting:
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 ¼ cups sugar
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
To make the cake:
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C/Gas Mark 4. Grease and flour a 9 by the 2 inch baking pan.
- Combine lemon juice and milk. The mixture will thicken slightly. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cocoa, sugar, baking soda, and baking powder.
- Apply eggs, coffee, milk and lemon mixture, vanilla, and oil. Using an electric mixer, on medium speed, beat for 2 minutes. Divide the batter into prepared pans. (it may seem runny at this point, however, it will bake beautifully).
- Place in the oven and bake 30-40 minutes, or until a tester inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean. (Make sure to check the cake for 30 minutes so it does not overcook).
To make the chocolate pudding:
- In a saucepan, combine cocoa powder, sugar, cornstarch and salt until well incorporated. Pour in milk and stir until combined. Place on a medium-high Stir constantly until the mixture starts to boil.
- Let it boil for one minute while stirring, then remove from heat and add the butter. Stir to combine; let it cool for 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Using the end of a wooden spoon – poke the cake all over. Pour warm chocolate pudding over warm cake. Next, tap the pan so the pudding can seep into the cake.
- Then, cover and place in the fridge for at least 4 hours to set (ideally overnight).
- Frost the cake after slightly cooled, around 30 minutes after removing from the fridge.
To make the frosting:
- In a saucepan, combine sugar, milk, and butter. Heat over medium-high Bring to a boil and let it boil for 45 seconds.
- Remove from heat and apply chocolate chips. Stir until shiny and smooth; then immediately pour over the cake. Place in the fridge for 15 minutes to set. Slice and serve.