Sweet and tart, rich and creamy, the basic lemon curd is a smooth, spreadable custard-like filling, which can be used in tarts, cookies, cakes, and more.
Servings 1 3/4 cups lemon curd
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon gelatin
- 1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) unsalted butter, soft
- Place lemon juice and half of sugar in a non-reactive saucepan and bring it to a boil.
- In a separate bowl whisk eggs for about two minutes and quickly whisk in rest of the sugar. Add half of boiling lemon syrup into eggs and beat well.
- Pour egg mixture into remaining lemon syrup and whisk back to a boil. Boil for one minute while constantly whisking and mixture has the consistency of thick bubbling honey. Remove from heat and cover with plastic food wrap.
- Mix water and gelatin and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Add gelatin and stir into above. Once incorporated add soft butter in small nuggets and stir with a spatula. If butter was too cold and refuses to dissolve in curd, place for a few seconds in the microwave. Let cool in the refrigerator for one hour before usage.