Italian sausage and pepper sandwich is a classic BBQ meal. Italians usually make this in the oven, but if you want to take your cooking skills to the back yard, your family and guests will be very thankful. This is an easy recipe to follow and easy to make and still it will taste delicious. Italian sausage and pepper sandwich is an ideal combination of veggies and sausages!
Tip: Be sure to use fresh ingredients and a good roll.
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 2 medium yellow onions, cut crosswise into ½-inch slices
- 1 large green bell pepper cut into ½-inch strips
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into ½-inch strips
- 4 submarine sandwich rolls, split
- 2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 6 fresh Italian sausages, any combination of hot and sweet, around 1½ pounds total
- 4 cups baby arugula
For the garlic oil:
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- In a small bowl whisk the garlic oil ingredients.
- Prepare the grill for direct cooking over medium heat (350°to 450°F/175°C to 230°C)and preheat a perforated grill pan for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl gently toss the onions and bell peppers with 1 tablespoon of the garlic oil. Brush the cut side of the rolls with the remaining garlic oil. Spread the vegetables in a single layer on the grill pan and grill over direct medium heat, with the lid closed, until tender, around 12 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Remove the grill pan with the vegetables from the grill and put the veggies into a large bowl.
- Add the vinegar and stir to coat, separating the onion slices into rings.
- Brush the cooking grates clean. Grill the sausages over direct medium heat, with the lid closed, until browned and fully cooked (160°F/70°C), 8 to 10 minutes, turning occasionally. During the last 30 seconds to one minute of grilling time, toast the rolls, cut side down, over direct heat.
- Cut the sausages on the diagonal into ½-inch slices.
- Add the sausages and any juices to the bowl with the onions and peppers.
- Top each roll with 1 cup arugula and one-quarter of the sausage-onion-pepper mixture.
- Serve right away.