Granita is a traditional Italian refreshing dessert usually consumed in spring-summer period. This pineapple and lemon granita always reminds me of summer and you can find it in many touristic places across Italy, especially if you are visiting Italy in spring or summer. Refreshing and delicious, here is the recipe:
- 875 ml (3 ½ cups) water
- 300 grams (1 ½ cups) sugar
- 725 grams’ fresh pineapple (peeled, cored, chopped into chunks)
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 250 ml (1 cup) lemon juice, freshly squeezed (around 3 lemons)
To garnish (optional):
- Whipped cream
- Fresh mint leaves
- In a blender or food processor, process all ingredients until smooth.
- Strain the mixture through a strainer in order to remove the pulp.
- Place the mix into a large flat pan; freeze for 1 hour.
- After that, remove from the freezer; scrape the frozen mix with a fork in order to break it up and create tiny ice crystals.
- Next, freeze for around 30 minutes and scrape again. Repeat this 2 to 3 more times or just until you get little ice crystals all throughout.
- You can serve with a dollop of whipped cream and/or some fresh mint leaves.