- 2 tbsps. olive oil
- 225 g/8 oz. /1 cup peeled and halved shallots
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 4 beef medallions
- 4 plum tomatoes, cut into eighths
- 125 g/4 oz. /1 ¾ cups sliced flat mushrooms
- 3 tbsps. brandy
- 150 ml/ ¼ pint/ 2/3 cup red wine
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tbsps. double/heavy cream
- baby new potatoes
- French/green beans
Heat the oil in a large frying pan and cook the shallots for about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until almost softened. Add the garlic and beef and cook for 8-10 minutes, turning once during cooking, until the meat is browned all over. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the beef to a plate. Keep warm.
Add the tomatoes and mushrooms to the pan and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until the mushrooms have softened.
Pour in the brandy and heat through. Draw the pan off the heat and carefully ignite. Allow the flames to subside. Pour in the wine, return to the heat and bring to the boil. Boil until reduced by one third. Draw the pan off the heat, season to taste with salt and pepper, add the cream and stir.
Arrange the beef on serving plates and spoon over the sauce. Serve with baby new potatoes and a few French/green beans.