Apple ice cream pie is the ultimate classic dessert for the summer! Refreshing and delicious, this apple ice cream pie is so easy and simple to prepare – and you must try it. All you need is love for cooking, extra time, and a few basic ingredients. Here is the recipe:
For the crust:
- 1 ½ cups gingersnap cookie crumbs, finely ground (plus some more to garnish)
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
For the ice cream pie and caramel sauce:
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- A pinch of kosher salt
- 7 firm Fuji apples (peeled and cored) roughly chopped
- ¾ cup maple syrup
- 1 ¾ cups sugar
- 1 box vanilla ice cream
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 ½ tablespoons brandy, whiskey, or rum
To make the crust:
- Heat oven to 350°/180°C/Gas Mark 4.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, gingersnap crumbs, sugar, salt, and butter; stir until well incorporated.
- Press into the bottom and side of a 9-inch pie dish; bake around 10 minutes or until lightly browned at the edges. Allow cooling
To prepare the apples and ice cream:
- In a 12-inch skillet, heat the butter over medium-high heat. Apply apples, cinnamon, vanilla, and salt, and cook around 7-8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until apples are softened slightly.
- Add 1⁄4cup syrup and sugar, and cook around 4 minutes or until glazed with syrup and tender. Remove from heat; let cool completely.
- Now, stir the apples into the ice cream, and transfer the ice cream-apple mixture to pie crust; use a rubber spatula to smooth the top. Sprinkle some more gingersnap crumbs, and place in the freezer until set, at least 4-5 hours (ideally overnight).
To make the caramel sauce:
- Heat 1 ¾ cups sugar in a small saucepan over medium-high heat; cook until it turns into liquid caramel.
- Remove and add cream and brandy/ whiskey/rum; when bubbling diminishes, return pan to heat, stir until smooth.
- Then, remove and let cool to room temperature. Drizzle the caramel sauce over the pie. Slice and serve.