Little nuggets of bacon with chopped spinach, garlic, and crisp, golden breadcrumbs make a delicious stuffing for oven-baked mushrooms. They can be served straight from the oven, or prepared ahead of them and served at room temperature. Ideal for the holidays, these mushrooms stuffed with bacon and spinach are so delicious that your family will love them! Here is the recipe:
- 55 grams/2 oz. fresh baby spinach leaves
- 4 field mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 55 grams/2 oz. rindless bacon, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 55 grams/2 oz. fresh white breadcrumbs or brown breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6. Rinse the spinach and place in a saucepan with just the water clinging to the leaves. Cook for 2-3 minutes until wilted. Drain, squeezing out as much liquid as possible, and finely chop. Cut the stalks from the mushrooms and finely chop reserving the whole caps.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a frying pan. Add the mushrooms caps, rounded-side down, and cook for 1 minute. Remove from the pan and arrange, rounded-side down, in a large ovenproof dish. Add the chopped mushrooms stalks, bacon, and garlic to the pan and cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the spinach, breadcrumbs, basil, and salt and pepper to taste. Mix well and divide the stuffing between the mushroom caps. Drizzle the remaining oil over the top. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, until crisp and golden.