One way to improve a dessert is to add more chocolate or some honey in it – and that is the key to successful baking! This torta di cioccolato e Miele di Manuka or Manuka honey chocolate cake is so easy to make and really delicious! The special almond flavor makes this dessert an amazing chocolate experience that everybody will love. Try it:
- 10 eggs (yolks separated from whites)
- 1 ¾ cup dark chocolate
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup plus 3 teaspoons Manuka honey
- ¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons whole almonds (with skins)
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- A pinch of salt
For the chocolate honey ganache:
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 100 grams/3.5 oz. dark chocolate, melted
- 1 tablespoon Manuka honey
- A pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 335°F/170°C.
- Next, grease and line with parchment the base of a 9×10-in. round tin.
- Break up the chocolate and cut the butter into small pieces. Put them into a heatproof bowl and melt together over very low heat. Once melted, remove from the heat and leave aside to cool slightly;
- Transfer the mixture to a mixing bowl and stir in the honey. Set aside.
- Now, place the almonds in a blender or food processor and process just until you get a fine powder (remember to be careful not to blend them too much because the almonds may release some oil if you do).
- Apply the almonds to the butter/chocolate mixture.
- Then, put the egg yolks to the mixture one after the other, beating well after each addition.
- In a separate mixing bowl, apply the white along with the cream of tartar and the salt. Whisk mixture to soft peaks.
- Fold this mixture into the chocolate mixture, combine and then apply into the prepared cake tin.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes. The cake will have a slight wobble at the middle – so, try not to overbake it because you will lose the gooeyness.
- In the meantime, prepare the ganache. Beat the heavy whipping cream until creamy; melt the chocolate over a double boiler and pour into the whipped cream; stir in the honey and add a pinch of salt; whisk shortly to incorporate. Spread the ganache over the cake.
- Slice and serve with a ball of vanilla ice cream/gelato (if desired).