The ideal frosting for every tiramisu and coffee dessert lover! So quick, rich, and really delicious, this Italian tiramisù frosting is perfect adding to every chocolate and vanilla based cake and cupcakes. It will take you around 15 minutes to prepare it, plus 5 more minutes to cook – so simple and easy! Here is the recipe:
Servings 24 cupcakes/ 1 cake
- 1 cup egg whites (around 8 egg whites)
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 ¾ cups unsalted butter, soften at room temperature
- 1 cup mascarpone cheese, at room temperature
- ¾ cup powder sugar sifted
- A pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon dark rum
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ teaspooninstant espresso powder
- cocoa powder, to dust on the top
- Heat the granulated sugar, egg whites, and salt over a double boiler until the sugar is dissolved and everything is smooth; whisk constantly. (Remember: heat it slowly – to avoid egg scrambling.)
- Pour the mixture into a mixing bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat on high speed until a peak forms (around 5 minutes) – the mixture should chill during the whisking.
- Then, turn the electric mixer to medium and place the softened butter, a little at a time. Fold in the mascarpone. Mix to combine.
- Next, apply the powdered sugar, espresso powder, vanilla extract, and rum, and beat until the texture is nice, smooth, and pipable. You are done!
- Now, you can frost your favorite cake or cupcakes; don’t forget to top with a dusting of cocoa powder.