This Italian trifle is so rich, creamy, and really delicious. Your family and friends will love this treat. Simple and easy to prepare, try the recipe:
- 3 ¼ cups whole milk
- Finely grated zest from 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 7 large egg yolks
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 ¾ ounces dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 24 small savoiardi (Italian ladyfingers)
- ¼ cup Limoncello liqueur
- For decoration: dry lemons, edible Christmas food decorations, sprinkles (optional)
- In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, mix the milk, lemon zest, and vanilla extract. Heat over medium heat and bring to a very brisk simmer (don’t allow to boil).
- In the meantime, in a mixing bowl, beat the egg yolks, sugar, and flour until the mixture is pale yellow and creates a ribbon when the cream is lifted from the bowl.
- Slowly pour ½ of the hot milk mixture into the egg one, whisking constantly.
- Next, return the mixture back to the saucepan together with the other half of the milk. Stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, cook over high heat until the cream coats the back of the spoon.
- Then, pour ½ of the cream into a stainless steel bowl and apply in an ice bath in order to cool.
- Add the chocolate and cocoa into the remaining pastry cream, stirring until completely melted. Next, pour the chocolate cream into another bowl and place over an ice bath in order to cool.
- Whisk both cream mixtures occasionally as they cool.
- Now, split each ladyfinger in ½ and drizzle the cut sides with the liqueur.
- In a large glass serving bowl, arrange a layer of the soaked ladyfingers. Apply a nice layer of the vanilla pastry cream, then another layer of ladyfingers, and a nice chocolate cream layer; repeat the procedure until all ingredients are used. To finish, cover and place in the fridge for 50-60 minutes to set.
- Before serving, decorate with edible decorations and sprinkles (if desired).