Italian ice cream sandwich, or brioche con gelato, is a simple by incredibly delicious traditional Italian recipe. You can find it in almost every pasticceria in Italy, especially in southern Italy – an amazing Italian product inside a French one!
The sandwich, known as brioche con gelato, is a brioche bun fulfilled with gelato. In Sicily, you may also call it breakfast – especially during the summer months. Here is my version of Italian ice cream sandwich:
- 1 cup hazelnut gelato/ice cream (or chocolate gelato/ice cream)
- 1 cup vanilla gelato/ice cream
- 2 round brioche rolls (around 2 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons dark chocolate, coarsely chopped (optional)
- Divide the rolls diagonal (leaving the halves barely attached). Remove some of the soft insides in order to make room for the gelato. Put a scoop of both ice creams (hazelnut and vanilla) into each brioche.
- You can sprinkle some chocolate over the exposed gelato (optional).
- Close up. Serve immediately.