- 150 g/5 oz. / 2/3 cup (1 ¼ sticks) butter, softened
- 150 g/5 oz. / ¾ cup caster/superfine sugar
- 175 g/6 oz. /1 ½ cups self-raising flour
- 3 medium/large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 75 g/3 oz. / ½ cup glace/candied cherries
- SO g/2 oz. angelica, chopped
- 50 g/2 oz. / 1/3 cup chopped mixed/candied peel
- 50 g/2 oz. /scant ½ cup dried cranberries
- 75 g/3 oz. dark/semisweet dark or milk chocolate, melted 50 g/2 oz. / ½ cup flaked almonds
Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4. Line two 12-hole muffin trays with 18 paper cases.
Place the butter and sugar in a bowl, then sift in the flour. In another bowl, beat the eggs with the vanilla extract, then add to the first mixture and beat until smooth. Fold in half the cherries, angelica, peel and cranberries. Spoon into the cases, filling them three quarters full.
Bake for about 18 minutes until firm to the touch in the center. Turn out to cool on a wire rack.
Spoon a little melted chocolate on top of each cupcake, then scatter the remaining cherries. Angelica, peel and cranberries and the almonds into the wet chocolate. Drizzle the remaining chocolate over the fruit topping with a teaspoon and leave to set for 30 minutes. Keep for 2 days in an airtight container.