This fabulous fudgy chocolate layer cake is so rich, creamy, and chocolatey, which makes it a dream dessert for all chocoholics out there! It includes simple ingredients and simple preparation process. Therefore, you can make it anytime and for any occasion. Here is the recipe:
For the cake:
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoons baking soda
- A pinch of salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 5 ½ tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup freshly brewed coffee or cocoa, hot
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
For the frosting:
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/4 pounds’ high-quality chocolate, finely chopped
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat the oven to 325°F/160°C/Gas Mark 3. Use parchment paper to line the bottoms of three 8-in. cake pans. Then, use a vegetable cooking spray to spray the pans along with the parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar, cocoa powder, flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
- In a small bowl, combine the buttermilk with the vanilla and eggs.
- In another small bowl, pour the hot coffee/cocoa and melt the butter in it. Use an electric mixer at low speed to beat ½ of the buttermilk mixture into the dry ingredients. Whisk in 1/2 of the coffee/cocoa mixture; scrape down the bowl. Mix in the remaining coffee/cocoa and buttermilk mixtures
- Spread the batter evenly between the three pans; place in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes. Rotate the pans halfway through baking just until the cakes are spongy to the touch. Allow the cakes to cool in the pans for 10 minutes, and then turn them out onto a rack to cool entirely. Discard the parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, place the chocolate. Next, in a small saucepan, add the corn syrup and cream and bring them to a boil; then immediately pour over the chocolate, stir and allow to stand in a warm place for five minutes. Lightly whisk the ganache until nice and smooth. Fold in the butter and stir until combined. Place in the fridge, stirring from time to time, until the ganache reaches a thick consistency (thick enough to spread) around 30 minutes.
- Meantime, in a microwave-safe bowl, mix the water with the sugar and heat for 30 sec. Stir until the sugar is dissolved. Arrange a cake layer on a cake cardboard or cake plate and brush lightly with the sugar syrup. Apply around 3/4 cup of the frosting. Then, repeat with the remaining cake layers, sugar syrup, and frosting. To finish, spread the rest of the frosting around the top and sides of the cake. Allow the cake to stand at room temperature for at least one hour before slicing. Decorate with chocolate candies (if desired). Slice and serve.