Shout-out to all the chocoholics out there! This chocolate paradise semifreddo is the perfect dessert for you this season! Try it:
- Olive oil or butter, for greasing
- 375 grams’ semi-sweet chocolate
- 3 ½ oz. (100 grams) caster sugar
- 4 medium eggs
- seeds from one vanilla pod (or 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract)
- 18 fl oz. (500 ml) double cream
- To garnish: chocolate ganache/chocolate sauce
- Lightly grease loaf tin (21/4 lb or 1 kg) with butter or olive oil. Then, line it with 2 layers of cling film. Set aside.
- Next, break the chocolate into small pieces and place in a bowl set over a pan of almost boiling water. Heat until well melted, stirring occasionally, then set aside to cool for 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, add the sugar and eggs in a mixing bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat for until fluffy (around 3 minutes).
- Then, add the chocolate to the egg mixture. Put the vanilla seeds/extract and cream in another bowl and whisk until the mixture forms soft peaks.
- Add the whipped cream to the chocolate mixture and combine. Pour into the loaf tin and cover the cling film.
- Put in the freezer and leave for at least 4-5 hours (or ideally overnight).
- Remove the dessert from the freezer about 10 minutes before serving to soften a bit. If desired, spread chocolate sauce or chocolate ganache over the dessert.
- After that, run a knife around the inside edges of the loaf tin, peel back the top cling film, and turn it onto a serving plate or board.
- Remove the rest of the cling film or simply sprinkle some extra grated dark chocolate over the top (optional). Slice and serve.