Cannoli are traditional Italian pastries of the Sicily region. The singular form is “cannolo”, meaning “little tube“, with the etymology stemming from the Greek kanna. This dessert originated in Sicily, is a staple of Sicilian cuisine. However, many people across Italy love this sweet treat.
Follow this recipe and you will make a fantastic Cannoli Cake that your family and friends will love.
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted and cooled
- 1/4 cup chopped semisweet chocolate
- 1 recipe whipped cream frosting
- 1 recipe ricotta filling
- Fresh berries or candied cherries
for ricotta filling:
- 2 cups (15 oz.) ricotta cheese
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup semisweet mini chocolate chips
- 1 cup whipping cream, whipped
whipped cream frosting:
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Beat eggs and sugar on medium speed in a bowl with an electric mixer 5 minutes or until thick. Gently fold in flour and butter; pour into greased and floured 8-inch round cake pan.
- Bake in preheated the oven 350°F/175°C/ Gas Mark 4, for 40 minutes or until cake feels firm when touched in center. Cool in pan 5 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely on wire rack.
To make Ricotta Filling:
- Beat Ricotta cheese, sugar and vanilla on medium speed in a bowl with electric mixer 3 minutes. Fold in whipped cream and chocolate chips.
To make Whipped Cream Frosting:
- Beat cream on high speed in a bowl of electric mixer until soft peaks form. Beat in sugar and vanilla.
- Cut cake in half horizontally using a sharp serrated knife. Cut each layer in half again horizontally. Place 1 layer on serving platter; spread with one-third Ricotta filling.
- Repeat procedure, ending with cake layer. No sooner than 6 hours before serving, frost sides and top of cake with all but 1 cup frosting.
- Decorate with remaining frosting, chopped chocolate, and fruit. Refrigerate until serving time.