- 1 basic quantity pizza dough
- plain/all-purpose flour, for dusting
For the filling:
- 2 tbsps. olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 225 g/8 oz. smoked bacon, trimmed and sliced
- 1 large red pepper, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 1 large yellow pepper, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 225 g/8 oz. mixed mushrooms such as field, chestnut/cremini and button/white, wiped and sliced
- 1 tbsp. freshly chopped oregano
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 230°C/450°F/Gas Mark 8, 15 minutes before cooking and place a pizza stone or large baking sheet in the oven 5 minutes before cooking. Divide the dough into four pieces, then wrap in plastic wrap while preparing the filling.
Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the onion and bacon and cook, stirring for 5 minutes or until the onion has softened and the bacon is lightly cooked. Add the peppers and mushrooms and continue to fry for a further 5 minutes or until the peppers have softened slightly. Add the chopped oregano with seasoning. Remove from the heat and leave to cool.
Unwrap one piece of the dough and roll out on a lightly floured surface to form a 20.5 cm/8 inch round. Divide the filling into four portions, then place one portion on half the rolled out dough, about 1 cm/ ½ inch from the edge. Brush lightly with water and fold over to encase the filling completely. Pinch the edges firmly together. Repeat with the remaining dough and filling. Place the calzones on the baking stone or baking sheet and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until golden brown. Serve warm.