Easter is a perfect time to hit the kitchen, create wonderful delicious cookies and get baking. Plus, your kids will totally love helping you prepare this simple Italian Easter egg-shaped cookies! My nonna Rosetta used to make me these chocolatey and lemony biscuits each Easter! So, it’s time to have fun! Here are the ingredients:
- 10 oz. (280 grams) all-purpose flour
- 8 oz. (225 grams) butter or margarine, room temperature
- 5 oz. (140 grams) caster sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- A pinch of salt
- 50 grams white chocolate, grated
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 package vanilla instant pudding
- A few drops of organic yellow food coloring (optional)
- Icing sugar, to dust
- In a medium bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Fold in the egg yolk and beat to combine. Then, add the salt and flour, and lemon zest.
- Mix the flour together with the grated white chocolate and make a sticky cookie dough.
- Apply the dough onto a floured work surface and roll until you get a non-sticky, thick and nice dough.
- Wrap the cookie dough in Clingfilm and put in the freezer for at least 30 minutes. In the meantime, preheat the oven to 190°C/ 375°F /Gas Mark 6.
- Take out the cookie dough from the freezer. Use a sharp knife to slice it and make an egg form (or you can use Easter egg cookie cutter). Using a round little cutter or shot glass make a hole in the half of the cookies that you prepared (see photo). Arrange the cookies on a baking sheet.
- Bake in the oven for about 10-15 minutes, allow cooling.
- In the meantime, make the instant vanilla pudding, according to the package instructions, adding a few drops of yellow food coloring (if desired) in order to make it look like an egg yolk.
- Using the pudding, sandwich each regular egg cookie with egg cookie with a hole – just like on the photo above. If you have left extra pudding to fill each cookie hole to finish.
- Dust with icing sugar and serve.
Enjoy and Happy Easter!